DCAN500 – CAN over DC Power Lines Transceiver
NEW CAN PHYSICAL LAYER OVER POWER LINE AT BIT RATES UP TO 500KBIT/S
Device operates as a can bus transceiver transferring CAN2.0 A/B messages over power lines at can bit rates up to 500kbit/s.
The DCAN500 receives and transmits CAN2.0 A/B protocol messages.
The arbitration over the power line is based on the CAN message Identifier’s LSB 11 bits. The data is error protected;
QPSK modulated using low voltage narrow band carrier, eliminating the EMC generated by the “square wave” of the normal CAN bits. The DCAN500 is implemented in small CMOS digital process allowing integration with other CMOS IP such as micro-controllers. The DCAN500 is coupled to the DC line via capacitor, thus, there is no need for high voltage process such as needed by ordinary CAN transceivers.
This innovative solution allows low cost overall CAN implementation, combining power and data over the same cable, withstanding the hostile DC lines impulse noises eliminating twisted pair wires, saving weight and simplifies installation.
- Interface using the CAN bus protocol
- Bit rates of up to 500Kbit/s.
- CAN arbitration over the powerlines.
- 251 selectable carrier frequencies.
- Built-in Modem, Error Correction and Synchronization.
- Replace the CAN bus control wires.
- Allows flexible network designs.
- Hard-coded 48 bit UUID.
- Sleep Mode for low power consumption
The DCAN500 is divided into the following main building blocks;
- Protocol handling block, interprets the CAN host protocol.
- CODEC block, ECC encodes/decodes the data.
- Modem block, phase modulates and demodulates the CAN message to and from the DC-BUS power line.
- CSMA/CA mechanism provide CAN Carrier sense and arbitration capabilities to the device
- Sleep mechanism, ensures low power operation during sleep mode. During Sleep mode, the device wakes up for short period to detect possible wake-up messages from other devices on the power line.
- CAN2.0 A/B over power line communication.
- Adding redundancy to CAN channel.
- Replacing existing CAN buses
- Truck-trailer CAN communication